Head of School’s Weekly Message
It is February and we have just passed the halfway point of the school year. I am sure we are all looking forward to longer days with more daylight hours. Imagine that in just over a month the sun will be setting after 7:00pm!
The UA Board and Staff Leaders have been working on developing the next UA Strategic Plan. The draft version of the Vision, Mission and Values is almost ready to be shared. Parents should expect to receive an email in mid-February outlining the draft and a link to a survey to provide feedback to the team. I would like to thank all of the participants to date who have contributed to the process, there have been many hours dedicated to developing the new plan.
I am very excited that the first phase of our deck project will happen very soon. I expect that the 3rd Floor library deck will be transformed into the Athletic Deck ready for use when the students return from spring break. This project is being made possible because of the generosity of UA families, 38% of whom have contributed to the Annual Appeal thus far. In order to complete the larger playground project this summer we still need to reach our Annual Appeal goal of $250,000 – we are 70% of the way there but that last 30% is really important to make sure we have a new playground on the 4th floor deck ready for September. You can still donate here if you were waiting for the new year! UA is still accepting donations of Parent Equity certificates too.
It has been another outstanding week at UA for our students. There has been no shortage of activity going on.
- Our first pilot episode of the student-led UA SoundCheck Podcast was launched and can be heard here.
- Our UA 2023 Grads are starting to hear from Universities with acceptance offers
- Junior Boys basketball had an unbelievably entertaining double overtime game with two buzzer-beaters. Unfortunately, they fell by one point at the end to Maple Ridge Christian. But such a gutsy effort from the team.
- Grade 6/7 girls basketball team celebrated their first win on home court.
- A strong contingent of Middle and Senior School students have headed off for the weekend to participate in Model UN Vancouver
- In celebration of Family Literacy Week, the Read-A-Thon wraps up tonight with students dressing up as their favourite book characters at school today.
- The second round of fencing club started this week for some of our Upper Middle School students in addition to many student and staff-led clubs!
As you can see, UA is alive with activity and students trying their hands at many new opportunities with success! It will certainly be an exciting and eventful second half of the school year.
Yours in education,